Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The Making of a Donut Cake

This was such a fun cake to do and surprisingly easy.  I took pictures along the way to show you step by step.  Great cake to make for a donut lover in your family. 

I started off with two 10" round yellow cakes.  Because this was going to be a heavy cake, I used more than just cake boards.  I used a sturdy board along with the cake boards and cake paper.  I cut and leveled the cakes and used butter cream for the filling.
 

 
After crumb coating the cake I made about a 3" hole in the center.


With a serrated knife I started shaping the cake into a donut.  It doesn't take much, just a little off the top, bottom, and sides.  After that I frosted with butter cream.


I tinted my homemade marshmallow fondant with brown gel food coloring and rolled it out for the donut.  The tricky part was piecing fondant in the donut hole.  I used a fondant smoothing tool to help with this step. 

I used some pink fondant for the donut glaze.  Again rolling out the fondant and using a fondant smoothing tool.  Once in place, I carefully cut out the fondant edges to make it look like glaze.  I rolled out different colored fondant and cut it into large sprinkles.


The birthday boy I was making this cake for was a huge Simpsons fan, so I added a Homer made out of fondant.  A little bit of frosting in the hand made him look even more like Homer.


Last touch was a banner to personalize the cake.  See how easy that was!

No comments:

Post a Comment