Thursday, September 23, 2010
For the past two Earth Days, I've been going to my oldest daughters school and teaching them about the importance of recycling and planting gardens in a yummy way. This treat is so easy to make. Here are the steps:
- You'll need small terracotta pots, individual snack size pudding cups, green spoons, fake flowers, hot glue gun, Oreos, gallon size bag, and gummy worms.
- Crush the Oreos in the gallon size bag so that it looks like dirt. Cut worms in half.
- Hot glue one flower to the tip of each spoon.
- Place pudding cups in pots and remove top.
- Carefully place enough crushed Oreos on top of pudding to cover it.
- Place gummy worm into the pudding and place spoon in center of each pudding snack.
Because I have two girls, I always jump at the chance to make boy themed birthday cakes. Apparently this is a Star Wars Ship called a Death Star (never saw the movie). The challenge was to make this round cake stay. Yes I figured it out, the ship stayed docked.
Wednesday, September 22, 2010
I made this birthday cake for a good friend of mine. She loves chocolate, so I made a chocolate cake with chocolate fudge filling. Chocolate butter cream wasn't enough of a chocolate frosting, so I poured on chocolate ganache! She loves pink, so I added a few fondant pink flowers to make this Death By Chocolate Cake look elegant. It was so rich, I could only eat one little slice, loved it!
For my oldest daughters first birthday, I made her a 6" apple cake with whip cream frosting. The butterflies were made out of chocolate. This was her first taste of cake and chocolate. We actually had two birthday parties for her; one on her actual birth day, and the other a week later when family could visit. The Winnie the Pooh cake is also a 6" apple cake with whip cream frosting. The Pooh characters were also made out of chocolate.
For our 12th Wedding Anniversary I made one of my husbands favorite cakes (he has many "favorites"). I used real carrots and a great blend of spices for this carrot cake recipe. The vanilla bean cream cheese frosting made this a decadent desert. I only made a 6" cake for us, and then cup cakes that he took to work the next day. I don't even think he noticed the fondant carrot decorations, but I thought they looked cute.