Friday, March 1, 2013

Viva Las Vegas Wedding Cake

 
This is the cake that started it all!  I've always enjoyed baking and being in the kitchen. Once I had my daughters, this cake hobby became a way that I could be a stay at home mom and still be able to express myself through baking.   My husband was telling me for years that I needed to share my talent with others, but my confidence wasn't quite up there with his.  I always told him if anyone would ask me to do their wedding cake , then and only then, would I go public with my talent.  I thought I was pretty safe with that.  I mean, who would ask me to do a very important cake like their wedding cake!!!



In the summer of 2008, my brother-in-law eloped in Las Vegas and my in-laws had a reception at their house.  They asked me to do the cake!!!  Since then, I've been sharing my passion for baking with others. 



The couple had a Vegas themed reception and I incorporated that into the cake.  The 12" cake was a chocolate cake with Oreo cookie cream filling.  The 8" was a yellow cake with fudge filling and the 6" was a spice cake with praline filling.  Butter cream was the frosting.  I made the playing cards and poker chips out of fondant and hand painted them with edible paint.  My mother-in-law found the awesome cake topper.  It was a plastic welcome to Las Vegas sign the lit up!  Perfect!


My brother-in-law just graduated from college that spring, so for a grooms cake I made a 6" round chocolate cake with chocolate fudge filling and chocolate ganache frosting.  Everything (except the tassel) was edible! 


Over the years I have honed in on my skills, built my confidence, taught classes, and have had so much fun making over 250 cakes for others.  Now my husband asks when am I going to open a store.  "Just wait, some day" is my reply.

No comments:

Post a Comment